From:
David Parsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:44:16 -0500
Cathryn,

In the Spring of 2006, the Yale Art Gallery set up a number of
culture constituents for the African Department to accommodate their
special needs. The African Department felt they just couldn't accept
the Western concept of the "unknown" artist.

For all other works in the collection, we use one "Unknown"
constituent and use the constituent assistant to qualify the "unknown".

When we set up TMS ten years ago, the one "unknown" constituent
seemed to be the better solution.

Today, I think moderate use of culture, period and various "unknown"
constituents has merit.

David Parsell
Yale University Art Gallery & Yale Center for British Art