From:
Jonathan Thristan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:29:04 +0100
The inability to add attributes to batches of records, whether simple
Object related attributes, or exhibition statuses to a selection of
objects related to an exhibition, is one of the biggest gripes that
users have. When attempting to implement and support TMS to support
activities, such as organising an exhibition, this is the sort of thing
that can make a big difference in terms of users accepting and using
TMS, or not - the sort of single issue that's given as a reason for not
using TMS, there being a whole variety of others, many not having
anything actually to do with the system viewed in narrow terms! Perhaps
reflects a tendency to build up batches of data entry rather than
updating info as changes become known, which might not be the best way
to tackle the job in an ideal world, but this tends to be how people use
the system - something comes into the organisation on paper, and then on
a Friday afternoon TMS is updated (probably reflecting a continued
reliance on local, paper-based systems, to manage activity?!)

Jon

Jon Thristan
Collections Information Manager
Tate
Millbank
London SW1P 4RG

t:  +44 (0) 20 7887 8983
e:  [log in to unmask]
w: www.tate.org.uk

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to
be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. This
e-mail does not constitute an offer or a contract