Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:22:05 -0500
From:
Kate Blanch <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Stephanie, We converted to direct digital several years ago, and have recently implemented a Digital Asset Management System - so we have been in the process of refining our image metadata standards over the last several years.

We are now building out an integration whereby TMS can refresh metadata embedded in the object. This requires that we embed the Object Accession Number into the image at time of capture. We found that saddling our photographer with entering metadata on top of processing images was not an ideal workflow and left large room for error. We have a schema of metadata in the DAMS that is mapped to TMS and at the time an image is ingested into TMS, TMS is queried and the object info (label copy/tombstone) is embedded.

Before we stood up the DAMS, we were using a PHP script that would call Photoshop to embed label copy/tombstone info into each image. This worked very well (was developed in-house by my predecessor).

I'd be happy to share the schemas we used in Photoshop and the schemas we are now using in the DAMS. Metadata and all it's iterations has come with a steep learning curve for this database admin!

All best, Kate

Kate Blanch
Administrator, Museum Databases
[log in to unmask] / 410.547.9000 ext. 266

The Walters Art Museum
600 N. Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201
www.thewalters.org

The Christmas Story: Picturing the Birth of Christ in Medieval Manuscripts through February 28, 2010
Beauty and the Brain: A Neural Approach to Aesthetics January 23-April 11, 2010
Japanese Cloisonné Enamels from the Stephen W. Fisher Collection February 14-June 13, 2010
Mummified through November 2010