Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:34:52 -0500
From:
Diane Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Stephanie,

We regularly give objects that are part of a set their own individual
records.  For instance, a tea set will have separate records for the teapot,
the creamer and the sugar bowl, although they are linked via Related Objects
(which like Kate said will be much more useful in 2010 with the
Seperable/Inseperable objects linking - I can't wait to upgrade to be able
to use this feature!).  For something like the teapot, with parts that are
an integral part of the particular object, there will be components - like
the teapot having a lid: the teapot is .1a, the lid .1b, and that would be
part of one record. It is likely that the teapot, creamer or sugar bowl
might be on display on their own, but the teapot and lid probably would not
be.
I don't see any issues with making the two vases components if they are
always together or were always meant to go together. It's kind of a bigger
question of how you think about them.  Can the piece stand on its own?  Or
must it have the other part with it to make a complete object?
A dress must have its skirt and bodice to make up the full dress outfit; a
teapot must have the lid to be a full teapot, but does not necessarily need
the creamer or pitcher for you to tell what it is.  (Even though it forms a
set.)  Probably deeper than you wanted to go, but you may need to think
about other types of things to see what is going to work best overall.
(Have not yet integrated using the values for Loans, etc., just starting to
do that now so unfortunately can't offer any advice as far as that.)
Good luck and have fun with 2010 when you upgrade - I'm jealous!

D.

Diane Lee, Collections Manager Ÿ 860-236-5621 x242
Connecticut Historical Society