Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 09:23:52 +0000
base64
From:
"Shepherd, Rupert" <[log in to unmask]>
An interesting question, albeit one that doesn't worry me much in my day job. So here are a couple of random suggestions:

"Iconserica: A Chinese Iconographical Lexicon – 2016: The DCMS has promised to award support of £300,000 to the V&A for its new digital project ICONSERICA, a ground-breaking bilingual lexicon for research in Chinese iconography to enable the study and understanding of Chinese art. The project will be led by Dr Hongxing Zhang, Senior Curator of Asian Department at the V&A, who will develop it in collaboration with leading Chinese and international experts in museums and research institutions." I'm not sure if there's anything more about this online - the quote was pulled from the bottom of https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/working-in-and-with-china. They were recruiting in August.

For object names, the BM's thesaurus may be useful.  A very, very old version is available online at http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/assets/thesaurus_bmon/Objintro.htm, and I would have thought the current version could be harvested from their linked data endpoint. It's also possible to ask them for a snapshot download into CSV or Excel - if you're interested, I'll let you know the procedure.

No doubt other list members will have much more apposite suggestions.

Best wishes

Rupert

Rupert Shepherd, PhD FSA
Collection Information Manager