Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The Museum System (TMS) Users" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:27:27 +0000
base64
From:
"Smith, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Latitude and longitude data are included in the SQL TMS database in the table TermMasterGeo, though they are not accessible within TMS GeographyXrefs or the TMSThesaurus Manager for TGN entries. Why that is, I do not know.

The following query will show you this data:

SELECT T.TermID, T.Term, TMG.Latitude, TMG.Longitude, LatitudeDirection, LongitudeDirection, LatitudeNumber, LongitudeNumber
SELECT
FROM Terms T INNER JOIN
TermMasterGeo TMG ON T.TermMasterID = TMG.TermMasterID
WHERE T.Term LIKE 'Cambodia'

To get:

TermID		Term		Latitude	Longitude	LatitudeDirection	LongitudeDirection	LatitudeNumber	LongitudeNumber
1887010	Cambodia	13 00		105 00		N			E			13.0000		105.0000

But to use it you will must choose either the decimal version (Latitude.Number, Longitude.Number), or concatenate the Latitude and Longitude fields with the Lat/Long direction field:

SELECT T.TermID, T.Term, TMG.Latitude + ' ' + LatitudeDirection AS Latitude, TMG.Longitude + ' ' + TMG.LongitudeDirection AS Longitude
FROM Terms T INNER JOIN
TermMasterGeo TMG ON T.TermMasterID = TMG.TermMasterID
WHERE T.Term LIKE 'Cambodia'

To get:

TermID		Term		Latitude	Longitude
1887010	Cambodia	13 00 N		105 00 E

You'll see the SQL degrees/minutes format doesn't completely match what the TGN displays online:

Coordinates:
Lat: 13 00 00 N  degrees minutes	  Lat: 13.0000  decimal degrees
Long: 105 00 00 E  degrees minutes	  Long: 105.0000  decimal degrees

Be careful with Lat/Long - a miss is as good as a mile, or more!

Jeffrey Smith
Assistant Registrar for Collections Information
Collections Department
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
Smithsonian Institution