From:
Brenda Podemski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:52:36 -0800
Hi Kate,

We do both.  Most conservation reports are entered as textual data into line item records.  Certain reports that are graphics-heavy or contain charts and tables not easily viewed from TMS are converted to PDF format and added to a new Survey with a line item called "Attachments" as a linked media record.  These PDF media records are not linked from objects.

For conservation images, most are processed by our imaging department and attached to objects through the Objects media tab.  Those which should specifically be referenced from a conservation report are also linked from the conservation module, either attached to specific line items to illustrate certain sections of reports, or added to an "Attachments" line item to group them together.  This permits users to see all the images of the object from the Objects module, but allows conservators to focus on those that illustrate specific cons. reports.

We control the use of conservation images via their media status.  When first added to TMS, they are defaulted with a status of "In-house use only."  This prevents such images from getting used in our public kiosks or on the Web without appropriate authorization (and FYI, we do not permit user downloads of images from TMS; we have a separate digital asset management system for that purpose, which also happens to use the TMS media status to control access).  If it is desirable for a restricted cons image to be used outside of TMS, its status may be updated in TMS to allow the approved use.  We are also beginning to employ the use of Attributes in the Cons module to flag specific reports that are "cleared for public access" to apply this control to the actual report content as well.

Setting things up this way gives us a fair amount of flexibility re. access and context.  We may have images that are restricted from use on public kiosks, but approved if within the context of a cleared cons. report.  It seems to be working well for us thus far.

Best,

Brenda

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Brenda Podemski
Business Applications Administrator
Collection Information & Access
The J. Paul Getty Museum
www.getty.edu

v.  310-440-7087  |  f.  310-440-7752  |  e.  [log in to unmask]

>>> "Diggle, Kate" <[log in to unmask]> 1/5/2009 1:55 PM >>>
Quick survey: do you attach your conservation images/reports within the
conservation record (ie: adding a media record via the line item, media
tab) or do you attach the images through the objects module (media tab
on the data entry screen)? We are reconfiguring our conservation
module....all images are currently attached through Objects module. I am
wondering what other museums are doing & the pros and cons.

Kate Diggle

Collections Database Administrator

National Postal Museum

202.633.5512