From:
"Garton, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:08:18 -0500
One thing to remember about Object Attributes is that you can't search on "Not equal to" a certain term (at least not easily.) It's much easier to query on Department, where you can search on selected departments together using Alt+Ctrl. Also, reporting on terms attributes is tedious and sometimes tricky.

Having said this though, NPG does use terms attributes extensively in four different modules, and they are searchable on eMuseum for both objects and constituents. In the Objects Module, we have an Attribute Type called "Other Classification", which is a catch-all for possible classifications that aren't represented in the Classifications field (which we try to keep simple.) This works well, because an object can have multiple "Other classifications".

But it sounds like you would benefit from having some basic distinction of stamp vs. non-stamp in the Classifications field or somewhere else very visible and easily searchable. Though this hasn't been enough of a problem for NPG to bother addressing, we cannot easily distinguish portraits from non-portraits! It's a similar situation to yours, and I look forward to hearing what you decide.

Good luck!

Sue

Susan Garton
Data Administrator
Center for Electronic Research and Outreach Services
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution
Phone: (202) 633-8554 / Fax: (202) 633-8254
E-mail: [log in to unmask]