From:
Forrest Smalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:04:50 -0500
Hello,

One of our museums is using TMS 9.35 with SQL 2000 and the "Image Server" file location/share running on the same server(Windows 2003).

To better support the system during a transition period to a new collection system, we would like to migrate the existing system into our supported model of frontend file servers as Virtual Private servers and moving the two databases "TMS", TMSThesaurus" to our shared SQL 2008 R2 instance.

I have read much of the manual, but I may not have full access to their tech support. As an outsider IT person with the central IT department, I have to simply log in, read the manual to see how the system works in the current department. I have a few questions if anyone has done this...

a)I am certain I can restore the dbs to 2008, but I am not sure if there are any compatibility issues with SQL 2008R2 with the front end thick client with version 9.35? (I see the latest version seems to officially support SQL 2008R2)

b)I see maybe dozens of SQL accounts created for users in the existing server...can you use domain accounts or a group instead?  Most perms seem based on tmsadmin not individual users so I am not sure what they are there for really.

c)our current file share is mapped by the clients as \\servername\tmsimages  as Y:\   I see the path mapped in the db in the mediapath/mediafiles tables as Y:.  This leads me to believe that as long as the clients change their ODBC to the new SQL server, and map the new Y: as \\newservername\tmsimages, the client should work fine with no other intervention?

d)it seems that server side, other than an images share and a the actual database engine, there is not much to install other than a "Database configuration" tool which probably will not be used...if I am doing this manually...all backups etc...will fall under our normal schedule. I can install the tool,but I don't see much need for it really...is there a piece that I am missing in this puzzle?

e)Since all clients will stay on current version...I guess I lean towards not switching to a terminal server mode approach at this time on the same server that will be used as the image server...other than one-stop central maintenance of the thick client, is there any other reason to move users to a terminal server approach?

Thanks for any advice/comments/notes you may have to offer.

Forrest
UC Berkeley