MARINESCI-ED Archives

September 2005

MARINESCI-ED@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
James Wharton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marine Science Educators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:52:27 -0400

How are they related? They're not! Except that they're both in this
e-mail...

First, huge news. Researchers in Japan have finally captured on film a
giant squid alive and in it's natural, deep-sea habitat. I'm a bit of a
squid-o-phile, so this is very exciting to me, but I figured all
right-thinking marine enthusiasts would appreciate the news. Here's the link
for the article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_sc/japan_giant_squid.

Also, here are a few new job openings (attached)--just got them today.

Also, also, do not fear the List. The List is your friend. Feel free to
post if you have interesting marine science news, program alerts, job
openings or questions for other educators. Here's a little seed for
discussion: How much wood would a wood duck duck, if a wood duck could duck
wood? Which leads naturally to the question of just who's throwing wood at
water fowl, but...oh never mind.

Jim Wharton
FMSEA - SE Regional Director
Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce
www.sms.si.edu