MARINESCI-ED Archives

May 2006

MARINESCI-ED@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Abrams, Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marine Science Educators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 09:10:26 -0400
I hope this attempt works!

The Common Snook (Centropomus undecimalis) is the most abundant of the
four snook species in Florida.  Snook are protandric hermaphrodites
which means that all snook are born as males.  At some point in their
life cycle a certain percentage of the population will change sex to
female.  This change usually happens between 2-7 years of age and when
several large females are lost from a given population.  Some people
have stated the snook that undergo this sex change (from male to female)
become smarter.  Scientists cannot verify this claim.