MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Carol Harsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:49:40 -0400
Hi all,

Many of you many know about this opportunity for grants, but I thought I
would share it with you just in case you don't.   Pat Miller from the
Illinois Heritage Association provided the information below.  I followed it
last year and though there were lots of applications, I think its a great
opportunity for our MoMS venues.

Carol

Based on its success among history organizations and schools in 2004-2005,
The History Channel, in collaboration with The American Association for
State and Local History and Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, is proud to
announce the 2005-2006 Save Our History Grant Program.

> Last year, The History Channel awarded $250,000 in grants to twenty-nine
local history organizations in twenty-seven states across the country. A
diverse mix of museums, historic sites, preservation organizations,
historical societies, archives, libraries, and other organizations were
awarded grants in 2004-2005.

> To read abstracts of the outstanding 2004-2005 Save Our History grant
projects, please visit
http://www.saveourhistory.com>www.saveourhistory.com.

> To help achieve its mission of supporting history education and historic
preservation, The History Channel will commit $250,000 towards Save Our
History grants to local history organizations that design and execute Save
Our History local history education and preservation projects in
collaboration with local schools or youth groups.

> History organizations will be able to apply for grants of up to $10,000
to help fund unique, hands-on student projects created to teach students
about important aspects of their local history and to actively engage them
in the preservation of significant and potentially endangered pieces of
their local heritage.

> If your organization has an existing educational program, challenge
yourself to create a unique, rewarding Save Our History project. If you are
interested in creating new educational programming, Save Our History
provides an excellent platform for you to do so. If you have questions on
how to get started, a Save Our History representative will be happy to
provide guidance and support. Please email us at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

> * July 8, 2005 - 2005-2006 Save Our History grant application will be
> posted

> * August 2005 - 2005-2006 Save Our History Educator's Manual available
>
> * October 21, 2005 - Completed Save Our History grant applications due
>
> * December 2005 - Save Our History grant recipients notified
>
> * May 2006 - Save Our History National Honors event in Washington DC
recognizing 2005-2006 grant recipients

> Please visit www.saveourhistory.com after July 8, 2005 for further
details on guidelines and judging criteria.