MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Carol Harsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:11:21 -0500
Angel and Annie,

Thank you for sharing the reactions you have been receiving about the Key
Ingredients title.  A "nose-crimping response" is interesting to consider!
(he, he, he)

It is our judgement that "America by Food" is preferred to the earlier
"America Food Traditions."   A good exhibition title needs to be catchy..or
even hokey..if it attracts attention.  I would imagine that you would all
agree that "Barn Again!" is hokey, too, and it is probably our best title to
date.

"American Food Traditions" is misleading to the content of the exhibition.
An exhibition specifically on food traditions probably wouldn't include crop
farming, kitchen gadgets, or even food symbols.  It is our judgement that
"America By Food" is a much stronger sub-title that is more inclusive.
Certainly food traditions are a part of this exhibition, but our exhibit
deals with so much more.

While I have your attention, let me also respond to Kathleen's question
about shipping. Although we are at full throttle in the design and
production of KI, we are  probably a few weeks away yet from knowing even
the number of crates. As you might suspect there are more panels in this new
design than in previous MOMS exhibitions, but it all depends on how they are
packed. As soon as  I have even a ball park number I will let you know. We
will have more info on this front in the next couple of weeks.

The design is really looking great! It is very exciting to see it all
coming together.  In addition to the very colorful banners and the awe
inspiring portals, we have added interactive components.  The tidbits are on
plate sized discs that will be attached to the panels with a picture of the
food on a front disc that swings open with the tidbit info behind it.  There
are about 3 or 4 of these on each unit.  Also, rather than put the
cheesehead behind glass, we thought it would be fun to let visitors try on
the cheesehead and see themselves in an oval mirror!  As I have mentioned
before the exhibition experience will be on of discovery.  The taller walls
will give a maze like feel as one explores the various stations.  Way cool.

Exhibition development takes a long time and I know that you are eager for
info about crates and weight, etc.  We will give you more information as
soon as we know it.

Carol
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/08/03 06:53PM >>>
Angel, I am getting the same nose-crimping response to the exhibit title.

Carol, you had some thoughtful responses to my plea to keep the original
title in November - can you reiterate them now?

Annie