MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Davis, Robbie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:27:34 -0400
T.J.,

I'm sure that other host states will come along with some good stuff and I'll let them share the details, but a few KI events/programs that stand out to me are:

1)       West Chicago, Illinois - Stirring Up History cookbook that combined recipes from different cultural groups in the community with stories from each group on preserving their culture within their families - very interesting. The cookbook ended up receiving a certificate of commendation from the American Assoc. for State and Local History awards program.

2)       Webb City, Missouri - Every elementary school student in the Webb City school district visited Key Ingredients and participated in a program on setting tables and table manners.

3)       Minnesota - the Minnesota Humanities Commission sponsored the work of Charlie Maguire, a Twin Cities-based musician and educator, as he travels around to host communities. He works with 4th graders to teach them how to make songs on local food traditions and then has the students perform in an assembly. Charlie even wrote a Key Ingredients theme song.

4)       Companion exhibitions with statewide partners - The Michigan council and the Michigan State University Museum and the Montana council and the Montana Historical Society partnered to create complementary state-specific exhibitions to accompany KI. After the exhibition's run in Montana, the photographic exhibition was opened for bookings to other organizations.

Lots of communities have done really fun, creative programs. In Butler, Missouri, KI was hosted by an organization that has a living history farm. They did a number of great food programs. In Benham, Kentucky, the local host also created an oral history program to record histories from eastern Kentucky coal mining communities. In Brainerd, Minnesota, the local host was an arts center that did a cookbook on food by color.

Everyone jump in, I know I'm leaving tons out . . .

Thanks,
RD

Robbie Davis
Project Director
Museum on Main Street
Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES)
P.O. Box 37012 MRC 941
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Telephone: 202-633-5335
Fax: 202-633-5344