MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"MANZER, JEANNE" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:19:16 -0500
Many of you probably already know this, but I was impressed by the
schedule of the museum which will be hosting Yesterday's Tomorrows
Sept 11. The coordinator's schedule lists that day as "Museums
Celebrate America's Freedoms Day of Remembrance - A day of
remembrance in concert with museums across the nation to affirm the
central role that museums play in the community." Text continues from
the American Association of Museums & the Institute of Museum &
Library Services. It reads: "As a steward of the nation's stories,
museums offer special places to examine & reaffirm such precious
freedoms as: freedom to assemble, freedom to create, freedom to
worship, freedom to inquire, freedom to express ideas, & freedom from
fear." I'm not exactly sure how they plan to note that day, whether
it be through a sign or special announcement. They don't have an
event scheduled that day, but have a large 2-day music festival in
the community which is in the street behind their museum 9/12-13.

Other state sites might be interested in making note of that day
wherever your exhibit will be.

Jeannie
--
Jeanne Jones Manzer, Assistant Director for Programs
South Dakota Humanities Council