MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Dan Carey-Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:20:34 -0500
Hello Humanitites,
I know the Subject line might have been over the top, but its true.
Maybe it is because here in Kansas everything seems to be bigger and
louder than usual lately.  Knowing that Ann is a big basketball fan,
especially for the Big East, so I can't help but say ROCK CHALK
JAYHAWK!!!!

That being said, Kansas opened New Harmonies here last month in
Winfield, KS, with much success and a spot on YouTube (as many of you
have seen).  Before the opening, we utilized CASSA funds for a two day
workshop.  The first day included: How to publicize and promote New
Harmonies, How to work with school and teachers, pulling students into
your institution. The second day, Terri Cobb led the installation
workshop, in which we set up the exhibit in 21/2 hours.  Whoohoo!  We
had lunch and then ended the day with Ann's Docent Training workshop.

Now let me tell you, I was worried about this one the most.  Not
because I didn't know Ann, but because it was the end of a grueling
two days and I knew everyone would be tired, cranky and ready to go
home (some people had to drive over 4 hours).  All of this made Ann
stand out so much more.  She was funny, charismatic, and engaged the
participants.  We began with a lively, interactive discussion, in
which all present were able to participate (not a soul fell asleep,
even after the Friends of the Winfield Public Library fed us a
wonderful, filling lunch).

After about 45 minutes in the "classroom," Ann turned us lose into the
exhibit.  Each of us was assigned a section of the exhibit in which we
had 10 minutes to look at and prepare for a mini-tour.  It was a
great, hands-on way to get an idea of how to lead a tour, how to train
docents, what to look for in a docent, and how to ask stimulating
questions that engage the audience.  It was a delight.

Here are some of the things the participants said:
"Good tips.  I was impressed that the person who wrote the docent
guide provided the training."

"I enjoyed the interaction and great idea from the other sites to
incorporate into our site.  Ann was funny, delightful and educational."

"I learned a lot!  And it was fun!"

"Five Stars"

If you are thinking of conducting a Docent Training in your state.
Kansans recommend Ann Easterling!
Let me know if you have any questions.
Best,
Dan

Daniel Carey-Whalen
Director of Programs
Kansas Humanities Council
112 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 210
Topeka, KS 66603
www.kansashumanities.org
785/357-0359

This message was written by the Friends of the Ann Easterling is
Awesome! campaign and was approved by Ann Easterling