MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Erin MacInnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:14:03 -0500
One of our favorite programs hosted by New Rhodes, Louisiana was a
cook-off competition called "How Men Cook". Organizers invited men to
show off their special BBQ, wild game and tailgating recipes in a
festival like setting in front of the host museum. They had music,
broadcast the LSU/Auburn (big rival and an away game) game on a large
screen TV, sold tickets and ended up making a nice profit on the
event--Enough so that they are now turning it into an annual fundraiser.
Men who initially turned down the invitation to participate were some of
the first ones to sign up for next year because not only did they feel
left out from a very successful activity but were not about to be "shown
up" by some of the other guys in the community. Men can be very
competitive (shocking, I know), and it was a great way to bring in an
audience that (in Louisiana at least) has a tendency to sit on the
sidelines during programming. Organizers put together a cookbook of all
the submitted recipes and had it available for the duration of the
exhibit.

A local exhibit utilized by several of our host sites was created by the
LSU textile department/museum called "Feed Sack Fashions". The exhibit
included examples of clothing created through the use of feed
sacks--some had prints that were used to make patterned dresses or
shirts (apparently certain sacks had certain patterns and a collection
of several of these sacks was needed to make one dress...) or they were
dyed or bleached a certain color--Very interesting and apparently a
common practice across the U.S.

I would be happy to supply more details on either of these two
activities for those interested.
Thanks,
Erin

Erin Regan MacInnes