MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Julie Mulvihill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:42:14 -0600
Mary Jane,

Lucas, Kansas (population 498) hosted Yesterday's Tomorrows this past
September.  During the 6 weeks the exhibit was there, they had about
9,000 visitors - - the largest turn-out for any Kansas site for either
Barn Again or Produce for Victory, I believe. It was incredibly
successful and they were the only host community in Kansas to say at
the end of the 6 weeks, "oh, I wish we could have had it longer.  We
were just getting the hang of it."

In this instance, the entire community pitched in.  In fact, months
before when I called the Lucas-Sylvan News to ask permission to use a
photograph of two farmboys standing next to their spaceship made from
two cattle feeders, the editor/reporter told me "we've all gone spacy
up here!"

I do think it is something that has to be considered on a
community-by-community basis.  Lucas has a reputation of community
involvement in projects so we were fairly comfortable with the
decision.  They had an excellent downtown facility (Grassroots Art
Center) and an extremely motivated project director.  It worked
beautifully.

Julie

Julie L. Mulvihill
Director of Programs