MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Carol Harsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 14:26:03 -0400
Hi all!

I have recently done installation workshops in ME, CT, and ID for Barn
Again!  I just want to brag on the good work being done by Trudy, Laurie,
and Jennifer.

It is so exciting to feel the enthusiasm and hear about all of the
wonderful humanities programs and educational activities planned by the
communities hosting Barn Again! in these three states.  From a timber
framing demonstration, barn raising, barn to barn run, Barnanza! Family Day,
to barn tours, school art contests, and surveys of local barns, there is no
doubt that Barn Again! will make quite a splash in the communities that will
host it in the coming months. In addition, there are myriad of other
programs focused on barns and agricultural heritage.

With regard to museum practices, BA! will also leave a lasting legacy.  In
Connecticut, two experienced museum educators came to talk to the host
communities about how to realistically work with school aged children and
engage teachers in the project and a docent training workshop attracted 140
small museum professionals in addition to the ones on the BA! tour; Idaho
hosted Ann Easterling to do docent training for the host museums in
conjunction with the installation workshop and at least three museums are
doing docent training workshops in their communities; and in Maine, the
president of the Saco Museum pulled us aside to thank us for the opportunity
to host BA!, saying, as a result of this opportunity, "this sleepy little
museum is going to take off".

All of this has happened because of the networking, planning, promoting and
organizing done by folks at the humanities councils in Maine, Connecticut,
and Idaho.  My hat is off to the three of you for a job well done.

Carol

Carol Harsh
Co-Director
Museum on Main Street