MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:30:13 -0400
Well, Robbie, I'm not sure you were expecting quite such a response to your
list of official state foods, but I'm enjoying the discussion. Here in
Maine, the Wild Blueberry is probably a safe choice -- although to be
accurate, it is actually (I kid you not) the State Berry. Maine also has a
State Fish, the Landlocked Salmon, and various other official designations
(including a State Cat and a State Fossil!) but no "official" state food
other than the aforementioned. (Of course, everyone probably thinks of
lobster in relation to Maine, but it hasn't been designated with an official
title, maybe because it's an off-shore product.)

We're a little surprised that New Hampshire ended up with pumpkins -- that's
not something we knew about the folks across our border or ever would have
guessed. Thanks for sharing, Robbie!

Trudy Hickey
Special Events Manager
Maine Humanities Council