MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Carol Harsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:18:25 -0400
Judy,

Others may want to respond to your question as well, but I
wanted to clarify the SITES policy about charging to see the
MOMS exhibition.

SITES' policy is that museums can't charge to see the
exhibition unless the museum already charges admission.  The
rationale is that the MOMS exhibition should be available to
as many people as possible, that cost should not be a
determining factor when deciding whether or not to come see
the exhibition.  If the museum already has an admission fee,
then we encourage the museum to offer special times when it
is open without a fee (though this is optional for the host
museum).

This being said, we are also very aware that the MOMS
experience is a way for these small institutions to raise
their own visibility and that a fundraising event might be
part of it.  But this is different from a day to day
admission fee.  Donations are also permissible.

Thanks for asking, Judy.

Carol

Carol Harsh
Co-Director
Museum on Main Street
Smithsonian Insititution, SITES
(703)263-1912

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/01/02 03:01PM >>>
Hi, everyone--

I just ran into a question I don't remember being answered
at the Snowbird workshop. Have any of you worked with MOMS
venues that normally charge admission fees, and, if so, how
did you handle that? (I assume venues can't charge fees for
the MOM exhibitions.)

Thanks.
Judy
Wyoming