MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Genie's Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:26:25 -0500
Gregory, I don't have the experience,but I do have the notes from our KI
tour last year and will send them to you. I wasn't running the tour at that
time,but will send you this info and the contact person so that maybe she
can help you. Jane Lindsley  at 251.943.2480 was the project director for
the grant they received for doing a KI program and maybe she can help you
with the cookbook ideas. Just let her know that you got her name and number
from me because Cheryl Temple is no longer working with AHF. Foley created a
cookbook  entitled, Key Ingredients: Cooking Along the Gulf Coast. To
solicit recipes, Foley created a best cook contest. Twelve local citizens
were chosen to represent the twelve regions of Baldwin County. Regions in
Baldwin County divide the cookbook up, and each section of the cookbook
begins with a brief historical sketch about the specific community being
covered. Many of these sketches touch on food in some way - referring to
settlement patterns, ethnic influences, local agriculture, etc. Local
artist, Wilodean Brown, illustrates throughout the cookbook. Her pen-and-ink
drawings illustrate the Best Cooks section of the cookbook. She is a
self-taught artist who uses the crosshatching technique of lines and dots
with shades and tones from black to light gray, and her subjects are of
local scenes and family members. She has won awards for her work and
exhibited her drawings in art shows throughout the southeast. Finally, short
bios are provided for each of the best cooks included in the cookbook.  We
have a cookbook here if you want to borrow it and then return when you are
finished.

Genie Deason
Alabama Humanities Foundation
Community Programs Manager