MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Angel Ysaguirre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 17:03:17 -0500
Hello all:

I know some of you arriving on Sunday for the "Key Ingredients" meeting
might end up eating on your own.  Here is a list of places that are easily
within walking distance of the hotel.

South Water Kitchen (in the Hotel Monaco)
225 N. Wabash
312.236.3230
This is an office favorite. It's upscale diner food, like meatloaf with
truffle oil. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Entrees are probably
around $14. If you go, I highly recommend the rice pudding. I don't like
rice pudding but this one is to die for.

Star Of Siam
11 E. Illinois
312.670.0100
Your staple Thai food, which means good and cheap. Nothing more to say.

Gold Coast Dogs
159 N. Wabash
312.917.1177
This might seem like a strange one to include bu Chicago is known for its
hotdogs, which are very different from hotdogs in other parts of the
country. It comes with chopped onions, tomato, a special relish, a sprinkle
of special seasoning and only mustard, no ketchup (that would be heresy).
It's a fast food place so nothing fancy at all. If you go, I highly
recommend the cheddar fries. You'll get out of here for $5, drink included.

Catch 35 Seafood Restaurant
35 W. Wacker
312.346.3500
If you're not from a seafood town, this might be a treat. If you are, pass
it up. I think this is one of the better seafood places in Chicago. It's not
cheap fut not expensive for seafood.

Bin 36
339 N. Dearborn (at Marina City)
312.755.9463
If you love wine, this will be the place for you. It's a wine bar with
simple but good food. There are tons of wine to choose from and the staff is
very helpful and friendly.  It's a very trendy place but trendy among decent
folks, not stupid posers. The food is reasonable but the wine can push up
the bill. It's next to the House of Blues, in Marina City. Marina City is an
important Chicago architectural landmark.

Nick and Tony's
1 E. Wacker
312.467.9449
This is the old stand-by Italian place. When you can't think of where else
to go, there's always Nick and Tony's to the rescue. It also has ample
outdoor seating so if the weather is nice on Sunday evening, it might be a
good choice.

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop
2159 S. China Pl.
312.328.0001
This is the only place not within walking distance. I include it for those
of you who are adventurers and like Asian. Unfortunatley, downtown doesn't
have great Asian restuaruants but luckily Chinatown is just a hop, skip and
a jump away.  Anything you order on the menu will be cheap and really good.
In addition, I highly recommend having a freeze.  The mango kiwi is
excellent, as are the watermelon and coconut. For those of you who might
want to try something new, the avocado freeze with tapioca is my favorite.
It's sweet and hints of avocado more than tastes like it. It's the favorite
of the Chinese folks who eat there too. If you're going, you can take the
red line train south to the Chinatown stop or you can take a cab. It's in a
mall and so you'd have to find it once you get in there. The mall isn't like
a regular shopping mall, though; it's mostly resturants.

Hope those help. Happy eating.

Best,
Angel

Sincerely,