From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:32:15 -0400
Yoonjo Lee--I'm not sure I have the right brand name when you said 'Dylon.' Long ago I checked with the head chemist at Dylon Dyes (UK version of commericial supermarket packets called Rit dyes in the US) and he said that the dyestuffs were sorted because of their color spectra: for example, the gold for the cotton was an exact color match for the acid dye for the wool or nylon. Relative cost of the dye was also important. The fastness of the dyes to washing, light, chlorine, peroxide, etc was not important. Since the purpose of the supermarket dyes has not changed, I do not imagine that the type of dyes has either, but perhaps you should check to make sure their criteria have not altered? If you want something that will not bleed, and has some fair fastness to light, choose from the dye manufacturers' products yourself. The Sandoz products have a slightly different linkage between the cotton and the dye molecule than the Procions. Best wishes,

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]