From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:16:29 -0500
Jennifer, I have had good luck with bone folders when untangling fringe,
they're smooth and glide through the tangles nicely.  Gravity will
assist you in this endeavor if you allow the fringe to hang over the
edge of your work table.  It helps if your work table has a rounded
edge, and of course, only try this if the fringe is strong. Start at the
bottom of the fringe and work up towards the point of attachment.
In the past we have rolled shawls with a layer of tissue on the top and
bottom of the fringe on all four sides.  The tissue helps but the fringe
at the sides will inevitably slide about when you roll the shawl.
Good luck
Joanne Hackett
Indianapolis Museum of Art.

I have several 19th century silk shawls with beautiful long fringe that
has
been
severly tangled through the years.  Does anyone know a good trick to
untangle
the fringe without damaging it?  Also, are there any good tips for
storage to
keep the fringe from tangling?  All four sides are fringed so that if I
roll
it
two sides stay nice but the other two get tangled.
Thanks,
Jennifer

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.