From:
Jane Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:50:10 -0500
I've also wondered the same.  I have used them to store my own woolens
and have also experimented, successfully,  with non-traditional anoxic
treatments on some bug-fested sweaters, using Space Bags and
ThermaCaret air-activated heat packs sold in the drug stores for sports
injuries.  The pacs appear to contain the same ingredients as Ageless
(see below) and certainly have the same granular feel both before and
after exhaustion of materials. Plus, the adhesive side designed to
stick to your back allows the very warm packet to be attached to
whichever side becomes "top" in the SpaceBag, away from the object. So
far, the SpaceBags have provided an airtight seal - at least for the
8-hour life of the packets-and the packet/packets deactivated (cool
down) within 30 min.

I mentioned this bit of Outsider Treatment to some textile conservators
at a recent regional meeting but haven't really had time to really
pursue the possibilities or do the investigative work needed. Any
feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated .  If proved safe, it
would great to know emergency help for infestations was as close as the
local drugstore.

Jane Hammond

Here's info about ThermaCare I just pulled up:

ThermaCare is an innovative topical heat therapy that provides pain
relief combined with long-lasting deep muscle relaxation. Each
ThermaCare HeatWrap has a heat pack area composed of oval heat discs
(ThermaCells) that contain iron, carbon, sodium chloride, sodium
thiosulfate, and water. When these heat cells are exposed to
atmospheric air, they undergo an exothermic oxidative reaction that
produces detectable levels of heat (40°C) for up to eight hours.