From:
Wendy Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:55:10 -0800
Dear List Members,

I have read that weighted silks may contain arsenic and lead that were added
to the silk during the manufacturing process which can pose a serious health
hazard.  I was wondering how one recognizes these weighted silks?  Are all
"shattering" silks weighted?  How prevalent was the use of arsenic and lead
in the weighting process?  Was it only between certain dates?  Is there a
test that a lay person can carry out to determine if a silk contains arsenic
or lead?  Has someone written a paper on this topic?

Thanks in advance,
Wendy

Wendy Nichols, President
Canadiana Costume Society of BC and Western Canada