From:
Carlota Sage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:37:08 -0800
Flour is an excellent binder.  I imagine it's far more
likely that the medium of flour & water kneaded to an
eraser-like consistency will stick more to itself than
as microscopic particles in the textiles, although I'm
sure someone out there has researched it and may be
able to quantify it better.  I wouldn't necessarily
want to try it on anything valuable without further
research. :)

I was under the impression that some historical
cleaning treatments (i.e., bread dough or sliced
potatoes for paintings) were the basis for many of the
modern enzyme treatments used today.  They may still
be of value/interest to the conservation community if
they are better understood.

-Carlota