From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:47:13 -0400
Sarah: The cleaning of stains is, of course, specific to the composition
of the stain and to the fabric substrate. For putrescine and cadaverine
I asked to remove the odor, rather than the related stains. I
successfully immersed garments in a dilute solution of sodium carbonate
(on cellulosics) and sodium bicarbonate (on protein fibers). This is
fast and permanent. The method is similar to the early removal fish
smell (also a diamine) from problematic carbamate finishing process. It
was published as a poster contribution in the IIC conference  on
Archaeology revisited or somesuch (now on sale at IIC!) To saponify
adipocere, a stronger alkali at higher concentration with electrolytes
and higher temperature might be necessary. Whether or not such a
treatment is suitable for degraded textiles is questionable? The whale
blubber literature must address the adipocere pretty fully. Mary

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]