From:
Susan Heald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:33:25 -0500
What Gail just added made me think of something as well.   When we have long
tangled hide fringe on garments we straighten it out using a bone folder or
some smooth similiar tool, then we use a long length of narrow twill tape or
a narrow strip of Tyvek and twine the fringe in one or two points along the
length to keep the fringe straight for shipping/mounting, etc.   Susan

Susan Heald
Textile Conservator
National Museum of the American Indian
Cultural Resources Center
4220 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD 20746
(301)238-6624 ext 6317

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/23/04 11:19AM >>>
Here's an idea that I have not yet tried.  It could work  for storage
after
the fringe is untangled.  Weave a wide, long strip or strips of tyvek or
tissue over/under each fringe to keep the threads separated. This,
combined
with the tissue backing used in rolling should keep it stable on all
sides.

Gail Singer
Conservation Assistant
US Holocaust Memorial Museum