From:
Solitaire Sani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:58:07 +1000
Sorry, I couldn't e-mail Joan Kiplinger directly and thought that this info
could be interesting to others.

Hi Joan, my name is Solitaire Sani and am in the process of continuing my
research project, which involves the radiocarbon dating of textiles.

Radiocarbon dating involves the use of an accelerator mass spectrometer to
count the amount of carbon 14 within the sample. Approximately 30 milligrams
of textile is required for testing and it is destructive. It is true that
this method returns dates with large errors for younger textiles. It gives
more accurate dates for archaeological samples, ie. 1000's of years old.
There are many factors involved and it could be possible, but I don't think
it will be accurate enough for the dating of WWI textiles.

Maybe a good idea would be to contact a dating laboratory, here are a few
that I contacted:

BETA Analytic Inc. Miami, Florida.
WEB: www.radioarbon.com
E-MAIL: beta @radiocarbon.com

NFS - Arizona AMS Laboratory
WEB: www.physics.arizona.edu/ams
E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]

Oxford University
WEB: www.rlaha.ox.ac.uk
E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]

Rafter Radiocarbon Laboratory
WEB: www.rafterradiocarbon.co.nz
E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]

If you want to do some reading about radiocarbon dating:

BOWMAN, S. (1990) Radiocarbon dating.

Aitken, M.J. (1990) Science-based dating in archaeology.

JULL, A.J.T. & DONAHUE, D.J. (1990). Radiocarbon dating with accelerator
methods and application to textiles. Orientations 21(6), Pp. 75-79.

This should help you gather an understanding of what can or can't be done.
Good luck with the project, if you need anything more don't hesitate to
contact me. [log in to unmask]

Kind regards, Solitaire Sani.