From:
Kathleen Kiefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:34:03 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Changing acid-free housing materials "every several years" could mean as infrequently as 20-25 years, or more.  The rate at which these organic materials age and degrade depends upon the environment in which they are stored. If light levels, temperature and relative humidity are controlled, your acid-free housing materials will have a longer life span--as will your quilts.

There are a couple of Chlorophenol red pH indicator pens available on the market that can be used to check the pH of housing materials--NEVER use these pens on quilts or other historic artifacts.   University Products - www.universityproducts.com (Lineco's pH Testing Pen) and Gaylord - www.gaylord.com (Abbey pH Testing Pen) are both easy sources to order from.

Kathleen
Kathleen Kiefer
Associate Textile Conservator
Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library