From:
Jerry Shiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:27:03 -0500
Mark

I would think the odours are not only from micro particles, but also from volatile compounds.

When my family used to treat fur garments for smoke damage, we cleaned them first, then used a combination of warmth, moving air, and ozone to remove the residual odour.

The three aspects of this treatment worked very effectively together: a small amount of heat increased the rate of "evaporation" of the volatiles, moving air lessened the concentration of the volatiles near the garment, and brought the ozone into contact with the garment and the vapourized smells.

Boxes of baking soda, a bed of zeolite or activated carbon, microchamber paper,(and probably some cotton muslin, pulverized and baked South American Seaconch Shells, or almost any porous material) would all serve to "catch" some of the odors in the air in the tent treatments mentioned.

My guess is that the air motion, and the possible ozone output (as you suggest) would be the most useful aspects of including an electrostatic air purifier in a tent with the object. However, it would likely be just as effective to exhaust the air out of the tent.

In my opinion, the trick is to gently encourage the odours to leave the garment. Trapping, exhausting, or oxidizing them is then relatively easy.

js
Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
www.keepsafe.ca