From:
Susan Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:56:36 -0500
text/plain (956 bytes) , Image002.jpg (321 kB) , Image003.jpg (317 kB) , Image004.jpg (326 kB) , Image005.jpg (346 kB) , Image006.jpg (364 kB) , Image008.jpg (422 kB) , Image010.jpg (320 kB) , Image011.jpg (379 kB) , Image012.jpg (322 kB)
Hi,
I am requesting some help in identification.  Our collection recently received this dress, which had been partially disassembled.  We know nothing of its origins.  In doing a fiber analysis, we have discovered that the dress is silk and the embellishment is cotton.  Does anyone know what the embellishment is called?  This is of particulary interest.  It is quite detailed and heavy. Anything about the dress/robe?  What is the time period? Please remember that this dress came to us in pieces which adds to the mystery. What could have been the original design?  There are no closures on the front and the belt appears to be a decoration along the back.  We would appreciate any idea, information and especially books that would document this article.  My advisor has given me this project so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.
Susan Kesler-Simpson
Graduate Student
Textiles/design