From:
Julie Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:56:25 -0400
Magnets might be another option to consider re attachment to the backing.
Make the rigid inserts as you feel appropriate (Gail's suggestion...)and
incorporate small rare earth magnets (we get them from Lee Valley Tools in
Ottawa - you could try hardware stores - they're available in very small
diametres) into the palm areas.  You'd have to incorporate some appropriate
(thin) padding to separate the magnets from the inside of the gloves so no
impression is created...  On the back panel of the backing board you'd
attach (using Lascaux glue, screws...whatever) strips of thin-gauge
stainless steel covered with Ultrasuede, or Mylar...  Then just position the
gloves as you like.
Rough idea, anyway.  We use magnets for all kinds of display applications -
neat, fast, non-interventive, can be spray-painted to appropriate colour -
great for loaned large flat (thin) textiles...moccasins too...
Julie Hughes
Textiles Conservator