From:
Jerry T Shiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry T Shiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:06:45 -0400
Hi,

I know this is a deviation from the original note by Nancy, but it's another
opportunity to explain the usefulness of the LightCheck Cummulative Exposure
Indicator strips.
While it is very possible to use an exposure meter to measure a variety of
momentary illuminiation levels (at different wavelengths, of course), at
best this leads to a rough calculation and approximate estimate of total
light exposure. There are just too many variables unless the artefact is in
a very-well controlled location.
The advantage to the LightCheck strips is that they can be used as a
well-calibrated indicator of the total illumination that has reached the
object.  As such the results of interpreting the color changes are suitable
for documentation. While the LightCheck indicators do not indicate fading,
they do provide a rough scale of actual exposure by which fading can be
measured and predicted.
As usual, more information is on our website: www.keepsafe.ca

js
Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems / Microclimate Technologies International
Supplies and Solutions for Microclimate and Oxygen-free display and storage
www.keepsafe.ca    www.microclimate.ca   1 800 683-4696