From:
Kay Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:42:04 -0800
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Jennifer Barnett wrote:

> I am looking for inexpensive equipment for making cross sections, in

What sort of things are you sectioning?  Have you ever done freehand
sections?

If the material can be freehand sectioned, it's pretty easy to support
it with elderberry pith or carrot so you can get nicely thin slices.

Also, a friend, a plant anatomist, developed a pretty good hand
microtome for biological specimens, made mostly of a large nut and bolt
with fine threads.  If this is useful, I'll see if I can get him to
write it up.

Kay Lancaster  [log in to unmask]
(stray botanist)