From:
Pat and Jim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:52:59 -0400
Dear List Members:

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question about sodium
perborate.  The product in question is fairly new to the market and is
called Vintage Textile Soak.  On the package that I had in hand, it was
listed as "sodium perforate".  I am chuckling that it appeared to be a
typo.  I was just reiterating the active ingredient, as listed.

While I got all "A"s in high school Chemistry, that is long ago and far
away.  Today, I was far away from my computer, in another state at a
quilt show, and came home to 20 messages from people wanting to know the
sites to which I was referred.  I hope that I am not out of bounds in
sharing this good information with you nice people.  Here are the links:

http://www.borax.com/detergentbook/bleaching.html

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/pdfs/cnsv-bleach.pdf

Years ago in an Embroidery workshop with a well-traveled teacher from
England, she divulged that her preferred method of cleaning textiles was
to mix equal amounts of Ivory Snow Flakes and Snowy Bleach and add
water.  She would then soak the textiles in what would quickly become a
mushy gel, for as long as two weeks at a time, if she was off traveling.
 This method seemed to work and so, when called upon to recommend
whitening of a heirloom christening gown, I offered the same advice.  (I
understand that the production of Ivory Snow Flakes -soap, not
detergent- has been discontinued).

Oh course, what did I know? However, the method seemed to work and the
party who asked was just delighted that this family treasure could be
used for her grandchild.

I will continue to remain a lifelong student until I am no longer here.
At the very least, I am certain to never think of using sodium perborate
on wool, silk, or with metallic threads, or cloth mordanted with metals,
and will proceed with caution for other articles.

A big thank you to all of you who have written to me.  I appreciate your
words.

Pat Cummings