From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:38:30 -0500
Hi. I think I agree with all the responses--cold being better than warm, but also and especially with Mark who reminds me that the inside of my refrigerator is always going to have a higher relative humidity than the rest of the kitchen because the ambient kitchen moist air is cooled down. In the wintertime, the ambient air is drier...but you might still want to measure the refrigerated air (the relative humidity), especially inside sealed containers of metal or plastic.

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]