From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:38 -0400
Jane Hammond: There are 3 flocked velvet citations BCIN held here at SCMRE put out by the Fabricare Institute, a drycleaning association. Flocked velvets and flocked wallpapers were not "high end" products but would have had to meet certain minimum standards to be marketable. You might try testing a sample of the adhesive for PVAlcohol or Polyvinyl acetate--cheap handy and somewhat acidic. Mary Ballard

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/14/04 07:32PM >>>
I'm inquiring if any list members have had experience treating aged
flocked acetate "velvet" that they could share; or if anyone knows of
published references to textile treatments of this material, including
information about its production and manufacture .

A postwar WWII Veteran's banner approx. 16" x 32",  was brought to the
lab for possible treatment.  The banner's  design of cut  flocked
acetate shapes - a red framing border surrounding a field of blue, and
one yellow, stars - is adhered to a white satin acetate ground.  Other
than the machine-sewn attachment of a rayon fringe along the lower
edge, all construction is a glued assembly, including attachment to a
wood dowel for display. The mucilage  is brittle and flaking and some
stars have detached from the satin backing.  Of a larger concern is the
powdering of  flocking material, especially in the red border fabric.
The high points of puckers in the fabric above the fringe attachment
are now "bald" and the flocking  easily rubs off when touched, in all
areas of the red velvet.  The blue flocking of the stars is less easily
disturbed and the lone yellow star seems quite stable.

A call to  J & J Flock Products, Inc. in Easton, PA informed me that
production techniques of that era involved a "solvent-based adhesive"
that "over time ate itself up" (meaning it became highly acidic, I'm
supposing), and that the breakdown of contact adhesive could not be
reversed or stabilized. The man I spoke with had no clues about the
adhesive-or the solvent, for that matter.

  I heard a student at Buffalo State College speak, in the late 80s,
about her treatment of flocked velvet political ribbons but that paper
apparently was not published or is not available, and a search of the
DistList and TexCons archives yeilds nothing useful. Does anyone have
experience with consolidation/stabilization treatments for this
commercially produced fabric?   I would be most grateful for any
comments.

Jane Hammond