From:
"Sandra L. Troon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:42:19 -0700
Thank you Kay and Shirley for your responses regarding Gentrol.

On Thursday, April 08, 2004 10:17 AM Kay Lancaster wrote:

"In an active infestation in a museum, my personal choice for control
would probably be something that immediately kills the pests (freezing,
heat, quick acting pesticide), followed by something that breaks the
life cycle at a different point (e.g., an IGR), and stepped-up
monitoring.  Generally, integrated pest control programs are far more
successful than eggs-in-one-basket approaches."

It is exactly that possibility for stopping future generations that I
found compelling as an addition to the museum's already existant program
of pest control (monthly exterior perimeter spray) and monitoring.  The
Gentrol product that has been placed on the outside of the case has been
described to me as "a white plastic three dimensional disk that has some
mesh-like material on one side" for those of you who may be wondering
about the application method.

Shirley Ellis wrote

"I don't have the MSDS in front of me for the pyrethrin but an
investigation through Health and Safety determined that it is relatively
safe and commonly used in schools, hospitals and food outlets for insect
control."

My concerns about using pesticides stem from the fact that all (except
pyrethrins)of the fumigants and pesticides commonly used and considered
relatively safe for use in public buildings when I started working for
museums in the mid 1970's have since been determined to be inappropriate
because of concerns for either the safety of the objects or the public
or both.

Many collection managers are aware that isolating incoming organic
materials is recommended but I don't think many small museums have made
this a standard practice.  Fresh floral displays also continue to be the
norm in many institutions. It is not surprising that the carpet beetles
continue to turn up.

Thanks for all your advice. I will pass it along.

Sandra L. Troon
Textile Conservator
Oregon Textile Workshop
9745 SW 163rd Avenue