From:
"Frisina, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:07:35 -0500
I have always washed the "soft structured Tyvek" to remove the anti-static
coating rather than make it more flexible.  Tyvek comes in 2 varieties that
I know of.  One is stiff and more like inflexible paper.  It can be washed
and sews together nicely.  The other is very soft and known as "soft
structure". I believe it is often used to make protective outer wear for
laboratories etc.  I use the "soft structure Tyvek" for furnishing dust
covers when institutions do not have the resources for more expensive
materials like Bemberg Rayon or down proof ticking. It is very easy to sew
and requires no hemming.

Ann Frisina
Textile Conservator
Minnesota Historical Society