From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:28:20 -0500
Ann Frisina: What wonderful images! This is really interesting! Thank you!
But of course, now I have some questions: when you write "mineral/poison
green"..and "discharge print" have you analysed the print for its mineral
content and found arsenic--or are you referring to the color of the green as
"poison green"? When you write "discharge print" There would be no reason to
discharge to blank out the green if black is the second color; this could be
printed directly over the green...so have you done redox tests for the
discharge or do you mean it matches the style of the patterns often used in
discharge prints? I'm asking you off the list--since we have many
non-American readers that might be confused...perhaps you could clarify?
Mary

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator
Smithsonian Center for Materials Research & Education
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 USA
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/02/05 02:35PM >>>

I am seeking any published information on the development and use of
mineral/poison green dyes applied with a discharge print. The sofa is
pictured below. This muslin weight fabric was used as a show cover for a
sofa. The sofa is said to be 1850's.  However, 6 layers of show covers, the
first a black horsehair leads me to believe it may be 1820's.

PC130059.jpg
The poison green fabric ground is figured with black vermiculate, pin dots,
and small flowers. The print is non-directional and was used as a 4th
generation show cover over a cotton printed canvas. It appears that later
poison green prints were commonly combined with a third yellow color.  This
fabric is light weight and could not have had a long life.

PA0100035.jpg
I am also wondering if anyone has ever come across a printed canvas with
revival Turkish design similar to the one below employed as a 2nd generation
show cover.  I have never seen anything like this.  The fabric looks almost
art deco or late arts and crafts.  However, I believe it was applied to the
sofa in the 1850's-70's.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ann Frisina
Textile Conservator