From:
"Trupin, Deborah (PEB)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:48:23 -0500
Ann, thanks for that very thoughtful response...you expressed some of
what was in my thoughts, but not yet articulated, about the use of
Velcro. You've also prompted me to write about our solution, which is
not original.

We have  used some materials suggested by Joy Gardiner, following her
study of rug pads (see NATCC 2000 Preprints for her work.)  This
involves 2 layers: on the floor, a layer of polyethylene mesh  (US
Plastics,...made for preventing glassware breakage on lab counters and
sinks).  This provides the "grip".  Over that, a layer of polyester
felt, which some museums / historic houses (including us) are using
alone as a rug pad for large rugs with furniture, where slipping is not
an issue.  I have used Aetna Felt style PE16 - 125.

Rebecca, good luck with this project.

Deborah Lee Trupin
Textile Conservator
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic   Preservation
Bureau of Historic Sites
Peebles Island
PO Box 219
Waterford, NY  12188   USA