From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:49:48 +0000
Additional photographs to provide more documentation about the use and type of glazed wool fabric...
Hi,

My name is Conny Kristoffersson and I'm currently in the project to make a special type of uniform from the early 18th century.
The lining in this uniform has a special type of woolen fabric.
A glossy, shiny, worsted wool used in more fancier uniforms and clothes, in Sweden this fabric is called "Rask" or "Chalon" - it was also used in various folk costumes from the 18 & 19th century.
Either much glossy or just minimal.
I attach some pictures if you would like to see.

Sadly, now days, no one knows how this fabric was treated to get this glossy and shiny look. Not even the most experienced textile knowers.
A handcraft that's been lost in history.

I'm sure countries abroad also used this fabric in some way but i have never seen any "formal name" for it since all countries have different names for different fabrics.
Some people think it was treated with either bees wax or resin in some way and then pressed into the fabric with heat- but beeswax has been tried with a bad result.

I've heard that a company in Germany and Italy produced this kind of fabric all the way to the 1980s but we have no more information there?

Do you know anything about this or do you have any clues? Maybe textile experts that you can forward me to?

Best regards,
Conny Kristoffersson