From:
Kathleen Kiefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:14:13 -0500
A student at what used to be called Camberwell School of Art in London
(in the conservation program there) came up with a bread cleaning recipe
maybe 20 years ago.  It may still be available from the school.

In the early 1980s I was involved in a project to surface clean the silk
wall hangings in an office at the Courtauld Institute of Art when it was
in Portman Square (this was before things like soot sponges were widely
available).  After trying a variety of breads from the local supermarket
we found that medium sliced white bread worked the best.

Linda Eaton
Winterthur Museum