From:
Jane Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:34:13 -0500
A very comprehensive article about anoxic treatment is, "A low tech
method for insect eradication using Ageless" by Jon Brandon and Gordon
Hanlon, AIC/WAG, 2003.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find this
article in the WAG online archives during a brief search this morning,
to share with this posting. There are numerous Instances in the AIC
distlist archives about anoxic treatment, in various applications.

Use of the ThermaCare as an oxygen scavenger has been a quick fix and
certainly took care of my emergency.  I also use the bags and packets
to store small rugs and have also isolated small packets of old books
that appeared to be infested with mites. The bags do not have to be
radically compressed to be effective and there is a certain degree of
shrinkage and tightening of the bag from the reduction of oxygen. The
exothermic reaction definitely kills critters and the bags have
remained deflated over two years, in the case of the books, suggesting
that air is not air leaking in.  However, this is not a recommended
recipe and needs some delving into.

I assume that Mitsubishi Gas Corporation  is still the proprietary
source of  this material. They market packets of iron and potassium
chloride (Ageless) in several different compositions which are used for
a range of differing uses.  Some formultions will scavenge larger
volumes of oxygen and are rated (Z-100, Z-1000, etc.) to incidate the
mililiters of oxygen which the packet can scavenge.  If the packets are
designed for open air use , vs encapsulation or container, I suspect
they are formulated for a higher RH.

And what about the oxygen permeability of Space Bags?  Less than 0.1%
is the requirement for low oxygen fumigations, in most studies I have
read.