From:
Jennifer Hein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:25:43 -0400
> Comment to list members:

First, Patricia C. what is the name of the new product
whose active ingredient is sodium perforate?

Then,  any chemist??? Does anyone know the difference or similarity of
Sodium carbonate Arm & Hammer Washing Soda),
Sodium Tetraborate decahydrate (20 Mule Team Borax)

It sounds as if the spot lightening technique you used is the paste &
dry method to whiten tide lines that we learned at FIT when Betty Kirke
taught classes.  I have been recommending the stain lightening
procedure since 1990. It basically is:
Create a paste with warm to hot water to dissolve the crystals,
apply to the surface with a toothbrush, let dry & soak overnight,
scrape off with a spatula then rinse well.
Certain colors of certain fabrics do fade, usually pre-1905.

Just trying to see if sodium perborate is available here.

--Jennifer Hein
Preservation Consultant
Historic Object Conservator of Textiles, Leather & Ethnography
PO Box 90379, Indianapolis, IN 46290
866-575-9296 Toll free #