From:
Amann conservation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:35:37 -0400
Hello,
I have removed rust stains from linen/cotton blend fabric, ivory colored,
with tri-ammonium citrate and sodium dithionite in gel, followed by copious
rinsing with water. I got great info from Christina Margariti and Jenny
Potter from their MA dissertations in the UK, via Lynda Hillyer at the V&A.
Season Tse at CCI gave me lots of really helpful feedback on my tests, she
is brilliant! I had done some tests also with ETDA and sodium Dithionite in
gel from Deborah Bede's article on her work on the Wright brothers plane,
which didn't work as well for me, but her article was really valuable for
the whole process of working with the reagents in gel.  All that being said,
bleaching of the fabric could be the problem with some of these
combinations, and you would really need to test concentrations. I can dig up
my notes if that would be helpful.

Carol Kropnick
Amann Conservation