From:
"Ballard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:01:14 -0400
Konstantinos: I think Kathleen meant "rayon" as an example--that you
might have inadvertently dissolved the dirt that you meant to remove!
Because the silk carpet is tightly woven and absorbant, the dissolved
material may have gone into the silk, stiffening it. So my first
question is: what kind of dirt do you have? Why do you want to clean
this piece? My second question is: why are you using a metal (dairy and
brewery) disinfecting cleaner for your soap? Mary

Mary W. Ballard
Senior Textiles Conservator,
Museum Conservation Institute, Smithsonian Institution
4210 Silver Hill Road, Suitland MD 20746 U.S.A.
tel: 301-238-1210 fax: 301-238-3709
email [log in to unmask]